Sunday, September 2, 2007

Thanks For the Memories!

I did get together with the afore-mentioned remnants of Too Much Fun this past weekend in America's heartland (AKA Des Moines, IA). To liven up the mix, it's customary for the host dude to bring in members of his local bands to join the jam. So this year, in addition to Rick, Bob and myself, we had Jim on drums, another Bob on guitar, Randy on keys, and a fellow known only to me as "Callahan" on bass. All excellent musicians in their own right. With this expanded group, we could branch out and play some tunes we never attempted in the TMF band. So, crowded into the basement rehearsal space, we pounded out tunes like "Don't Dream It's Over," "Doctor My Eyes," "Fooled Around and Fell in Love," a couple of Pink Floyd tunes, etc, which are tunes I don't usually play and are fun to fall in on as best I can. We also had a couple of TMF "Unplugged" sessions (although Rick broke a string on his acoustic so it wasn't all unplugged - he had to use his Strat) with just the three of us TMF alumni, which gave me a chance to try some acoustic guitar. I'm still at the point, though, where I need a chord chart or tab in front of me or I get lost real fast, so I couldn't join in on too many of the tunes I didn't know. An excellent time was had by all, and next year it's my turn to host, so I'll need to start preparing for that (like, getting in a band here so I can bring local musicians to the party!). So, until next year, rock on!

No comments: