Wednesday, May 20, 2009

You and me…

… and Leslie (it was actually “endlessly,’ but I always said, “Ok, who’s Leslie?” whenever I heard this song – it probably got a laugh the first time I told it). On this date in rock and roll history in 1967, "Groovin'" becomes the Rascals' second chart-topping single. It holds down the top spot for four weeks, finally giving way to Aretha Franklin's "Respect"—which was also on Atlantic Records. Ah – the Summer of 1967 (AKA “the Summer of Love”) – I was 16, I was hangin’ out at the local pizza joint (known in my home town as “The Pizza House”), playing in a band, and driving my parent’s brand-new yellow ’67 Mustang…life just didn’t get much better than that! And this song was probably playing on my car radio, and it pretty much summed up the whole summer – I was groovin’…let’s enjoy it one more time. Thanks to http://www.rockhall.com/notes/today-in-rock/ for the info, and keep on rockin’!

2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

This is terrible news. I -- seriously -- thought it was Leslie until just now reading your column. I thought it a Lola-like joke (is Leslie a man or a woman?) & I would have sworn that as a kid i'd read someplace reliable that the lyric was actually a compound joke since Leslie was the name of his dog, ala Paul's Martha. Jeez. Well maybe I hallucinated that, quite possible. And in any event Leslie is clearly the more interesting lyric. "Endlessly"? Pshaw. Are you sure?

Charlie_Mac said...

The Young Rascals - Groovin' Lyrics

Groovin' . . . on a Sunday afternoon
Really couldn't get away too soon
I can't imagine anything that's better
The world is ours whenever we're together
There ain't a place I'd like to be instead of . . .
Groovin' . . . down a crowded avenue
Doin' anything we like to do
There's always lots of things that we can see
We can be anyone we want to be
And all those happy people we could meet just . . .
Groovin' . . . on a Sunday afternoon
Really couldn't get away too soon
Ah-ha-ha [3 times]
We'll keep on spending sunny days this way
We're gonna talk and laugh our time away
I feel it comin' closer day by day
Life would be ecstasy, you and me endlessly . . .
Groovin' . . . on a Sunday afternoon
Really couldn't get away too soon
Ah-ha-ha [3 times]

check it out at http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/easyrider/groovin.htm - sorry to ruin your life, man!