Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's That Spell?

On this date in music history, in 1967, Country Joe and the Fish debut on the album chart with 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body'. Of course, CJ&TF are better known for their appearance at Woodstock and the infamous “Fish Cheer.” With the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock Music and Art Fair (you don’t see much art in the concert film though, do you?) coming up this summer, let’s relive Country Joe MacDonald’s claim to fame one more time. Notice the big dangly ear ring in his right ear – when I noticed that detail in the concert film, I thought it would be cool to get my own ear pierced too; it took me until 1980 to screw up the courage to do it, though. I had to make a decision; which ear? In my small Iowa town, in those days, if you wore an ear ring in the right ear, you were a biker or a drug dealer, the left ear meant you were gay. I guess I chose the tough guy route… Thanks to http://www.rockhall.com/notes/today-in-rock/ for the info, and keep on rockin!

1 comment:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Because I was underage, getting myself into the theater to see this movie when it came out required a Blues Bros. level of planning. Stage 1: We tell all our parents we're going "camping." Stage 2: We alter our conciousness. Stage 3: We hitchhike into town. Stage 4: We flirt and cajole the young woman at the ticket booth into letting us in despite our inability to produce the ID she asked for. All hail to her: She was a babe and a rocker at heart.