Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's So Easy

… to steal a riff… Today in rock history, in 1956, Buddy Holly heads to Nashville for his first official recording session for Decca Records. Overseen by veteran country producer Owen Bradley, the session yields four tracks, including Holly's debut single ("Blue Days, Black Nights") and a classic cover ("Midnight Shift"). I wanted to take this opportunity to pay homage to Buddy, since I have been known to steal his chord progressions for the majority of my songs. Oh well, if you’re going to steal, steal from the best. Enjoy these recordings of "Blue Days" (a rockabilly classic), and "It's So Easy." Thanks to http://www.rockhall.com/notes/today-in-rock/ for the info and keep on rockin’!



4 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

An excellent pairing here, Mr. Mac -- Blue Days, rockabilly with a heavy country accent, followed by It's So Easy, moving out of country & into pure rock 'n roll ...

I've been told by reliable sources that the key to playing Buddy is the A style bar chord -- true?

Charlie_Mac said...

Yep, you can do it that way for sure...I just finished a song today called "Waitin' on the Judgment Day" fashioned on the "Not Fade Away/Bo Diddley" riff...

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Dude. Let me know when I can drop by your place to hear your new song. I'm free most of this weekend.

Charlie_Mac said...

Well....thinking about going to the Savage Legion Saturday night to sit in with Scott, Ross and Billy and playing some geetar (dusted off the Strat last night for the first time in a long time) -7:30 to 10:00,I'll give you a call...