Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Really Wanna See You...

... but it takes so long... On this day in rock history, in 1970, George Harrison released "My Sweet Lord" in America. It wasn't released in the U.K. until January 15, 1971. Great song, but we all know what hot water George got into with this song's similarity to "He's So Fine." He went to court, paid his fine, and wrote "It's Only a Northern Song" in response to the court's ruling. Good thing nobody gives a rip about how much I steal from other artists when I write my songs...uh oh...I may have said too much! Enjoy the tune one more time, and keep on rockin'!

3 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

i love only a northern song but that sucker is on the Beatles' Yellow Submarine album -- well before Harrison's My Sweet Lord.

The court's ruling -- "unconscious plagiarism" -- was ground breaking, and correct, i think. Even George was OK with it. (You listen to those two songs back to back and there's no question it's a lift.) I actually think it's cool that he took that girls' group song and totally re-purposed it in service of something completely different. But if I'd written "He's So Fine" i'd have sued too :-)

Charlie_Mac said...

Whoops - thanks for keeping me honest, Mr. Who - could be I'm thinking of a different tune that was written in response to the court ruling...in time, I'll figure it out!

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Sincerely love your blog, Mr. Mac -- you bring songs to my attention that I need to listen to right now -- but that I didn't KNOW I needed to listen to right now until i listened to them :-)

And them I'm like, oh yeah, Charlie Mac is right ... as usual!

I wish you & I could have a radio show ...