Friday, May 11, 2012

It Was His Cross to Bear…

On this date in rock history, in 1975, Cher's new boyfriend, rocker Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers, appears as a guest on her CBS-TV show Cher. Here’s the “softer” side of Greg with Cher before things went “south.” You can also read all about it in excerpts from Gregg’s new biography “My Cross to Bear:” http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-book-excerpt-gregg-allmans-my-cross-to-bear-20120427. Thanks to http://oldies.about.com/od/oldieshistory/a/may11.htm for the info, and keep on rockin’!

2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Greg sounded great as always. Watching, I wanted to hate Plastic Cher but couldn't manage it ... it's a great song and a sweet duet with a nice sax solo. This was new to me since I didn't watch Cher's show in the day, probably because it reminded me of an ex-girlfriend who was a Cher fan and dumped me in 11th grade :-(

Brasil said...

This was a very well written book. I didn't know Gregg had such a connection to Daytona Beach which was interesting to me as I live in Orlando. So it was fun to read him talk about parts of Florida. However the way he talks about women really turned me off. He says he thinks so highly of women but the language he uses to describe his interactions and every else leaves a lot to be desired. He talks about wanting to be an oral surgeon at one point but he certainly doesn't "talk" like someone with that degree of intellect to be honest. He does an excellent job of sharing his musical past and his relationships with his friends. He goes into virtually no detail (except a bit about Cher) about his personal life. Very little. It would have been more well rounded and interesting if we saw more of his personal life and marriages. He talks about all of them pretty poorly (except Cher) but I don't think he was actually looking for brains or class in his spouses so I think he got what he sought.