Friday, January 4, 2013

The Boys are Back…

Today in rock history, in 1986, Thin Lizzy bassist/singer, Phil Lynott, dies of complications (heart failure and pneumonia) from a drug overdose. I’ve always been a big fan of ‘Lizzy. I don’t know what it was – perhaps the twin lead guitar snarl of guitarists Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, Phil’s unique lead vocal stylings, or the over the top bombast of drummer Brian Downey – but their 1977 album “Live and Dangerous” ranks up there in my top 10 live albums of all time. They did reform – most recently with the line-up of original members Downey and Gorham, Def Leppard guitarist Viv Campbell, Darren Wharton on keys, Marco Mendoza on bass, and singer Ricky Warwick – most recently touring in 2011 and an album of new material to be released in 2012. Here’s a vid from their ‘70’s golden age. Enjoy – thanks to http://www.rockintown.com/today-in-rock.html, and keep on rockin’!

2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

What do you think of Phil as a bass player? I first produced my pistol; i then produced my rapier. I said, Stand and deliver, or the devil he may take ya.
http://youtu.be/TehFZ38kt6o

Charlie_Mac said...

I think he's quite good - I'm not gonna hold the fact that he uses a pick against him!